Saturday, August 6, 2011

connecting the dots

I am in the midst of my dissertation research (well taking a bit of break) and  my focus is on qualitative research, which can bring light to why and how decisions are made. My potential subject is how students develop a leadership identity within greek life experiences, branching from the work of Susan Komives. Komives' research is on a broad range of co-curricular opportunities, I thought it might be interesting to hone in one a specific experience and what may be unique to that engagement and its support of leadership identity development. What I discovered the other day was how my initial research can now make connections to other areas. 

I was attending a meeting of the Association of Fundraising Professionals the other day (never thought my career would lead to that) and the presenter was discussing generation of givers which included the Millennials. I would add on the front end that every presenter indicates these are broad and probably grossly extended generalizations of a generation's habits and behaviors, but her content particular struck me because it related to some of my initial research efforts. The presenter Alice Ferris (http://twitter.com/#!/aliceferris) discussed how important peer recommendation/references was to this generation and was supported through social media and electronic connection in general. Well, at that point it struck me how that became apparent in the initial coding (super novice at this) of my data study in how students develop their leadership identity in greek life.

Each student I interview discussed the importance of having a peer recommend them for a leadership position. Some came from little to no experience in high school and therefore having a peer recognizing their talents was especially impactful because it was a new and uplifting experience. Other discussed how much of a privilege they thought it was to have senior leader/role model recommend them. Each student acknowledge they would never had taken that next step had it not been for that nudge or expression of support. It made me rethink how we might advise students leaders to be very intentional in identifying future leadership for their chapters or organizations because at least my small sliver of data indicated it was a crucial for step for students assuming those roles. However, what struck me at that AFP presentation was how much that data can transcend experiences or different areas.

Now that I know peer recognition is very important to millenials (though this generation seems to be moving into another one) in co-curricular undergraduate experiences, I may need to rethink how that will work in alumni connections and supports of program for this generation. Can I get alums to recommend other alums to give/support? How do I get this to happen and in what format? Did I need to create a separate council of generation leaders to build a connection that they are seeking and will give support to?

Interesting questions that I do not know the answers to yet, but will let you know when I hopefully connect the dots.

No comments:

Post a Comment