Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The five things (in no particular order) that I have learned about students this year

I am getting a jump start on my new year's resolutions and truly believe any self improvement or skill enhancement shouldn't be delayed by a specific calendar date. Therefore, I want to blog more consistently to sharpen my written skills for my dissertation (without criticism detailing my minimal competency level for that effort) and share experiences with professionals from a variety of industries (not just student affairs) in an effort to exchange information and improve my work. So, here it goes with an early blog for the new year, the five things I have learned from students this year.

5. Students are absolutely awful at marketing themselves for potential internships and/or employment opportunities
    I suppose that is a relatively blunt opening remark, but my recent work with students in leadership programs has provided support for that assertion. I advise the senior class in a four year leadership/scholarship program and one of their requirements is to submit a resume to me for review and and edited and let's just say they are a bit underwhelming. Students just aren't thinking about what makes them attractive to  potential employers. Resumes are full of grocery style lists that rely on significant interpretation of the reader to decipher value and worth. I have a red pin that I use to make suggestions and edits and many times students leave with more red than black ink on paper. However, the goal is not to demonstrate my significant knowledge to these students and leave them with a deflated sense of worth, but actually the complete opposite. You have skills. You have experience. You have worth, but this piece of crap won't get you anywhere. This whole exercise (our work) is for not if students can't market themselves to get to the next level.
  Student affairs professionals this may add more work to our already long list of obligations, but ask to see your student resumes, portfolios,..whatever they are using to create that next opportunity. I know there are other departments that perform this service, but sometimes the feedback from a trusted advisor who comprehends the value of co-curricular involvement and has experienced a student's development, will go further and have more impact then a drop by to the career services office. I am not saying do not use these offices or professionals, but our feedback adds depth and clarity that students probably won't get anywhere else. I truly believe it is another form of advising we all most adopt at some level and trust me you will be amazed how bad they suck :), but we can make a difference and improvement there.

Tomorrow or the next day - Most of these students are smarter than me and I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment